Poll: Support for Musk’s Twitter transparency efforts

By M.D. Kittle

MADISON — As Elon Musk’s “Twitter Files” expose the social media giant’s silencing of the Hunter Biden laptop story, a new Convention of States Action poll shows an overwhelming majority of American voters back the transparency initiative.

The poll, in partnership with nationally renown pollster The Trafalgar Group, finds 63 percent of the more than 1,000 likely voters with an opinion on the subject back Twitter’s new owner’s efforts to make the platform more free and transparent. The remaining 37 percent say they are opposed to the changes, which have included the release of former Twitter staff and management emails.

“A strong majority of common-sense voters in both parties see what Elon Musk is doing with Twitter and understand it is incredibly good for the country and critical both for free speech and a free society. They understand that transparency is always in everyone’s best interest,” said Mark Meckler, president of the Convention of States.

“But what about the voters who register the opposite? Are they opposed to free speech and transparency?” Meckler added. “Perhaps some are, but we suspect many voters are stuck in the ‘red team v. blue team’ mentality, where they interpret their news based on personality—and whether or not that specific personality is part of their team—rather than looking at policy. We believe a majority of Democrats in this poll oppose Elon Musk simply because they see his actions as harming Democrats.”

The survey, conducted Nov. 30-Dec. 3 finds:

  • 2 percent of Independent voters support Musk’s efforts to change Twitter to a more free and transparent platform. 30.5 percent do not support, and 15.4 percent are not sure.
  • 8 percent of Republican voters approve of Musk’s efforts, 5 percent do not, and 10.2 percent are not sure.
  • 1 percent of Democratic voters are in support of the changes at Twitter, while 59.3 percent are opposed and 23.5 percent are not sure.  

Investigative reporter Matt Taibbi, of substack, last week unveiled the internal communications between Twitter employees and U.S. politicos surrounding the censorship of the New York Post’s reporting on the Hunter Biden influence peddling story in 2020. Musk turned over the documents to Taibbi.

The communications raise critical questions about Twitter quashing the story in the weeks leading up to the election between then-President Trump and challenger Joe Biden, Hunter’s father.

Coverage of the release of the communications over the weekend by the major Sunday morning political shows on ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN was miniscule. Instead, many mainstream news outlets attacked Musk and Taibbi, insisting there was not much to see in the documents.

CNN called the bombshell doc drop “lackluster.”

“I think those people should be looking in the mirror and wondering why they were deceptive. Why did they deceive the American public?,” Musk asked. “And instead of trying to redirect blame to Matt Taibbi, they should be accepting some responsibility themselves for not being truthful to the American public.”

A second Twitter Files release, Musk said over the weekend, will include Taibbi and journalist Bari Weiss. He did not specify a date for the drop.

Empower Wisconsin | Dec. 6, 2022

Listen to more:


Explore More

  • PowerUp: Big Money Left all in on Wisconsin Supreme Court race

    Empower Wisconsin January 27, 2023 The national left is all in on Wisconsin’s crucial Supreme Court race, a contest that…

  • Senators re-introduce No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act

    Empower Wisconsin | Jan. 27, 2023 The No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, the lawmakers say, attempts to clean up…

  • All Woke Up: ‘Affirming care’ for sadomasochists

    Empower Wisconsin | Jan. 27, 2023 The Hippocratic Oath doesn’t include a command that physicians provide “affirming care” for patients…

  • Fiscal hawks demand fiscal reform for debt ceiling deal

    Empower Wisconsin Jan. 26, 2023 Fiscal hawks in the Senate reiterated their demands for fiscal reforms and spending cuts Tuesday…

  • Evers signals big spending ahead in State of the State

    Empower Wisconsin Jan. 25, 2023 By M.D. Kittle MADISON — In his fifth State of the State address Tuesday evening,…

  • Spotlight| Study: Choice schools outperforming public peers

    By M.D. Kittle MADISON — On this National School Choice Week, a new study by the Wisconsin Institute for Law…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *